Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Cucumbers are the new watermelon

Did you know that cucumbers smell like watermelon?

My little bear loves cucumbers. She ate half of one tonight, by herself. Too often she is the best and most healthy eater in our house. And she's 2 years old.

So I cautiously smelled the cucumber. I asked husband if he likes cucumbers.
He said yes.
I asked why.
He said, "I don't know. It's healthy. It's not like vegetable eaters go out of their way to eat vegetables because they taste good!"
There goes any chance of me being a successful vegetable eater by the time I'm 30, right?

So I smelled it again. It smells like watermelon.
Why?

It can't be too scary then. I do like the smell of cucumber lotion.
It wasn't scary. But it was bland. And not the sort of "fresh" or healthy taste I was hoping for. Almost like eating the white part near the rind of a watermelon. I can't say that it changed my life, but maybe I'll keep trying it. Maybe it's an acquired taste. Like coffee. Or like dark beer. (Both things I've been successful at loving). And I've started eating almonds. At first I gagged. But I kept telling myself that they are like a healthy version of sunflower seeds. And now I love them. But only the ones with salt.

Do you eat cucumbers?
If so why?
How do you eat them? Fresh? How do you prepare them if you cook with them?
Inspire me.

In other news, I tried KALE last weekend. My mother-in-love made soup with kale in it. And I ate it. Again, my world wasn't completely turned upside down by it, but I was able to swallow it without hesitation. It wasn't bad. And it's quite healthy. I did try to eat shredded lettuce on a sandwich last week and totally gagged every bite down until finally I had to just take it off. I just couldn't do it.

And now, my confession. Aside from all the other reasons I'm trying to eat vegetables, they are only worth ZERO/0/NULL/ZILCH points in weight watchers. Wish me luck!

2 comments:

  1. I like cukes raw and in salads. When I have them raw, I like to put a little salt on them (pretty much, because I put salt on everything).

    I also like to make cucumber salad. You chunk up cukes, tomatoes, and a little onion, if you're feeling adventurous. Then, season it with salt (of course) and pepper. Then, throw some of your favorite Italian dressing on it, stir it up and enjoy. Now my mouth is watering for fresh veggies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please don't base your opinion of cucumbers on the cucumbers of April!!!! They are noting compared to the deliciousness of garden cucumbers!

    Trying Weight Watchers? Want something even easier? You don't need to know how "points something is worth. Check this out: http://www.beachbody.com/product/fitness_programs/21-day-fix-simple-fitness-eating.do

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_5g5rh1ezY

    I've lost 10 pounds in 40 days, 3 inches off of my belly and had to go buy new pants. Let me know if you want to know more.

    ReplyDelete